Tuesday, August 24, 2010

In lieu of an actual post:

Today was a super-long teacher inservice day at my job, so I didn't get any time to post here (I should probably be sleeping now, but I became engaged in some striking conversation on the topic of my blog so figured I should at least add something for the moment). In the meantime, here are some interesting readings similar to what I'm doing on this site:

-Remarkably Unremarkable
-Datingish
-Popehat
-Elizabeth Esther
-Seduced by Twilight
-Sad Robots (love the snark here- scroll down a bit for the misogyny stuff- very witty)

And of course, the ultimate re-write of the Twilight script. Grab some beers and some friends and take your shot at acting! It could be your fifteen minutes of fame! In fact, I will consider posting the top 3 interpretations here on this blog. Ripping good time. Anyway, go here:

-If Twilight was 10 Times Shorter and 100 Times More Honest

And finally, with all the words in this and the above listed blogs and satire sites, we must also remember that a picture is worth 1,000 words. Here are a few movie stills and advertisements that present some...interesting images of potential sexism and/or misogyny in the Twilight saga:


Fun fact: The average person has a comfortable sense of "personal space" ranging from 1.5 to 3 feet. Uninvited invasion of this space is instinctively interpreted as aggression.


Edward throwing a tree in trunk in an outburst of temper at his "situation," reminding Bella, "As if you could fight me off!" I would run. like. hell, even if my human boyfriend acted this way.

"Just close your eyes, depend on me to keep you safe in this hundred-foot tree, even though we've only just met and you have no reason at all to trust me. Just hang there...good girl!"

"What do you mean, 'did I get contacts,' you dumb bitch?"

I wish all new people I met greeted me by glowering at me disgustedly and covering their nose and mouth.

You can't dance? That's okay. Stand on my feet and I'll do all the work, as usual.

A choke hold is the sincerest form of flattery.

Now she has TWO severe looking big, strong men looking out for her. She'd better stay back there- she is a helpless "lamb," after all. For shit's sake.

Hey, remember that thing about personal space? I'm willing to bet it's compounded when you're alone with someone in a creepy, isolated forest and they keep asking if you're afraid of them as they tower over you and use proximity and body language to corner you.

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! It's like a twisted domestic violence shelter flier.

"You can't dance? It's okay. I can 'always just make you.' I discount your personal preferences on frequent occasions, and physically control you in other ways, so dancing should be a non-issue."

That's all I've got for now- goodnight! I hope you had a good laugh, but still...I mean, really Bella? *I* want to beat you up, and I am a feminist.

No comments:

Post a Comment